We previously wrote some simple steps that you can take to prevent electrical shock in the workplace. However, like many accidents, some electrical shocks sadly cannot be avoided. The danger posed by electrical shocks usually depends on a number of factors, firstly, how high the voltage is and also how that current travelled through the body. The impact that an electrical shock has, also depends on an a persons specific health, as well as how quickly an individual can be treated after sustaining the injury.
What injuries can be sustained from
Electrical shock may not always leave a visual mark on the skin, and in some cases it will, such as severe burning of the skin. However, one thing for sure, whether or not there is a visual mark, there may well still be serious internal damage regardless of marking, such as cardiac arrest as well as other serious injury. Even being exposed to just a small amount of electrical shock can still be fatal for certain individuals.
Contact a doctor
Any person that has been exposed to some form of electrical shock whether it be little or large exposure, should always see a doctor. This because as mentioned before, some injuries may be internal and not identifiable without seeking professional help to be cleared.
What not to do if a colleague is electrocuted
Do not come into contact with the injured individual if that person is still in contact with any part of an electrical current. Don't attempt to move a person with any electrical injury, unless that person is in immediate danger. In the event of an electrocution, ensure that you do not get near any high-voltage wiring if you cannot be sure that power is completely turned off.
When to call an ambulance
Call an ambulance if someone has been electrocuted by any form of high-voltage electrical source, or in more unexpected circumstances, lightning.
For any of the following injuries call an ambulance immediately:
Loss of consciousness
Heart issues (arrhythmia)
Muscle pain or spasms
What to do and what not to do while you wait for an ambulance
Immediately seek out and turn off the source of the electricity, if you cant turn off the power, but it is possible to move the electricity source, move the source away from yourself and the injured person. To do this ensure that you use material that is dry and is not conductible. Have the registered first aid person on site perform CPR instantly if the injured person shows no signs of breathing or any form of circulation. It is also important to make sure that the injured person doesn't become too cold. If the injured person is visibly burned and you have made sure that they are safe to touch, ensure that you only cover the burns with a clean cloth or if possible, a sterile gauze bandage,
If you require any commercial services from us, whether it be Electrical Compliance, Fire Safety Compliance, Fire Stopping, Building Maintenance, Legionella Compliance, Remote Monitoring, Rolec EV Charging Points, or any other service that we supply throughout the UK, please contact us today - 01604 696113.