top of page

Fixed Wire Testing (EICR) - a brief guide for Landlords

Most landlords take initiative to ensure the safety of their occupants is never in doubt, which is a good contribution to the housing market. But a small percentage don't, endangering their tenants as a result.

According to these new regulations, landlords must arrange for experienced and competent individuals to assess and test the electrical installations in their homes at least once every five years. A copy of the electrical safety report must be given by landlords to renters and, upon request, the local authority.

As a result, all landlords must now ensure that the electrical installations in their rental buildings are secure, as good landlords already do.

The law

According to the regulations, landlords must arrange for experienced and competent individuals to assess and test the electrical installations in their buildings at least once every five years.

What will be tested

The property's "fixed" electrical components, such as the wiring, socket-outlets (plug sockets), light fixtures, and consumer unit (or fuse box), will be examined. This will apply to appliances with a fixed connection, including extractors and showers.

When PAT Testing is needed

Only the fixed electrical installations are covered by your fixed wire testing (EICR); electrical appliances are not.

We advise landlords to do portable appliance testing (PAT) on a regular basis on any electrical appliances they provide, and as good practise, to provide tenants with a record of all completed electrical inspections. It is the responsibility of tenants to ensure the safety of any personal electrical appliances.

The report

The person doing the inspection and test must provide the landlord with a report (often an Electrical Installation Condition Report, or EICR), explaining its findings and outlining any necessary investigational or corrective work.

We won’t go into too much detail regarding codes but rather explain what each one means for you as a landlord, this as we’ve gone over the codes and what each one encompasses.

Remedial work

Remedial work will be needed if codes C1 or C2 are found in the report. The installation is deemed unfit for ongoing use, according to the assessment.

The landlord must also see to it that additional investigational work is done if an inspector determines it is necessary (FI).

The C3 classification code just indicates that improvement is advised rather than that corrective action is necessary. Although landlords are not required to make the repair, doing so would increase the installation's safety.

If you are a landlord and you require Fixed Wire Testing (EICR), please don’t hesitate to contact Protest ES Ltd, today – 01604 696113 |


Commenting has been turned off.
ReportSafe link
Promptus website link
Volt Logic website link
20 years (3).png

Since 2003 we have been delivering the highest quality in Electrical Inspection & Testing to clients nationwide.

Want to know more? Get in touch now!

bottom of page